Thursday, June 7, 2007

Welcome to my photojournalistic side

Because photojournalism is where I started in photography, I decided I should write about it and to give the world an insight to my daily life. Of course my heart also belongs to children's portraiture. My first camera came from my grandparents. It used 110 film. Do any of you know what that is anymore? :)
I vaguely remember taking photos for my grandmother around the ranch.
The first photo I remember just saying wow about was from my eighth grade trip to Washington DC from the Iwo Jima memorial. It was silhouetted against a beautiful sunset.
It wasn't until I reached the junior college level, needed an elective, and signed up for photography. I was to become a English major, but despised my instructor. No one earned higher than a D on the first paper. I dropped that class after the first exam.
At the end of the semester, the photo lab tech, whom most were afraid of, said I should call about an internship at the local paper, The Record.
Poor Jack. I laughed at him. I had one semester of black and white photography. I had been shooting windmills and broken bowls. But I called.
What was suppose to last the summer, ended up being a year and a half at the paper.
I credit my friend and mentor, Clifford, for his guidance throughout. And that closer is better. :)
I have now been at the Lodi News-Sentinel for nearly eight years. I am currently the Chief Photographer. And that is my photojournalism/photography career in a nut shell.
Photo lab - intern - photojournalist. Ta da. I hope enjoy the images you will see on this site and keep on clicking.

- A chic that clicks.

No comments: